Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Trying to keep my head on straight...

So I mentioned in my previous post that Matt had been working hard and late - I just failed to mention he was working hard, late, and out of town for about 10 days! I was trying to follow the proper social networking protocol by not allowing anyone access to the fact that I was home alone for 10 days. I tell you what - I have a new found respect for working, single mothers! I was so exhausted by the time he came home  - and AK actually had a good week as far as behavior and sleep patterns go. It probably didn't help that we both had the RSV symptoms for part of Matt's absence.
Anyway I am so very thankful he is home and that long extended travel, or any travel for that matter is not a regular part of his job!

This week has been just as crazy busy as the last. We left Tuesday afternoon to go to a Hillsong United concert in Birmingham - Let me tell you - It was absolutely fantastic! Besides having the opportunity to see many friends all around the arena, the worship experience was just what I needed. There is something powerful about worshiping the One True God with thousands of fellow believers! The sound that many believers can make in honor of Jesus Christ is mind blowing. It is a faint glimpse of what I believe Heaven will be or should I say what Heaven is like. Hillsong United is not really a "concert" at all but rather an interactive worship experience, if you have never been to one of their "shows" you need to add it to your bucket list. We had the opportunity to attend a show in Birmingham almost 2 years ago - and that experience has long stuck with me. This past week's experience will also be with me for years and years to come.
My favorite comment I could come up with about the night of worship was that I had physically, emotionally, and spiritually worshiped so hard that my entire body ached the next day. What a mighty God we serve.  In those moments of worship I came to new place of repentance, cleansing, and understanding of God's love for me. It was uplifting for me to be able to freely give myself to the Lord in those moments. It was an outstanding 3 hours that I did not want to end. One of our friends said it best, "I forgot what it was like to be drunk in the Spirit..." Isn't that the truth! That is a feeling I have not felt for many many years, I dare to say even a decade! I am so glad God uses ordinary people in extraordinary ways to lead people to the foot of the cross. I can only hope that I will truly find my calling and live it out in such a way that people will be able to clearly find Jesus and the love, hope, forgiveness, and abundant life he offers.

In other news, I'm pretty sure my sweet AK is getting smarter by the day! Recently I've decided I need to be conscious and aware of trying to teach her things, like recognizing a dog when she sees one or knowing things like what her shoes are and where they go.
Today I heard and saw the first results of these extra educational efforts! She pointed at the dog food bag in the kitchen and said "dog" - well it wasn't perfect pronunciation, but she said it! Tonight I was taking her shoes off after a trip to the store, she picked up her shoe and attempted to say "shoe". This attempt was quickly followed by many syllable sounds of "ssssh".
Besides her smartness AK has also become much more independent in recent days. Almost demanding to walk everywhere - which is not always a good or safe thing! She has discovered in her own AK way, how to help push the grocery cart. Needless to say - grocery shopping has become a much longer process when AK is in tow.  I think it's safe to say that family grocery shopping days are coming to an end, and soon it will be "mom's grocery shopping day" instead.

Tomorrow is my long awaited trip to Ikea. For the 6 years Matt and I have been married we have not had our very own bedroom furniture. It's safe to say with the exception of our living room and kitchen, and AK's crib everything we own is hand me down. Uncle Sam paid off big time this past year and we were able to accomplish something major! We just paid off our credit card that has haunted us for 6 long years. Today I paid the balance and it was such an amazing feeling! We had agreed that after paying off the credit card we would each get a "prize". Matt's "prize" was the new Nikon D3100
My grand prize however is new bedroom furniture, which I've picked out at Ikea. I've posted the picture of the dresser from the set we are getting. I'm not sure I have been this excited about something new for my home ever! We have been in the process of redecorating or should I say finally decorating our bedroom in this house, and this new furniture will be the final piece to the puzzle. As many of you know our style is very contemporary, and sometimes even modern. We are huge do it your selfer's, and have spent the last 3.5 years perfecting all other parts of our home. It is finally time to make my bedroom my own with my own furniture that is not a conglomeration of our child hood furniture from our past.
This trip to Ikea is a first time experience for the both of us, and we are quite excited. Fortunately we live close enough to Atlanta to make this a quick day trip. I cannot wait to show you pictures of the final product.

In closing - today a tragic earthquake shook Japan like no other quake in history. My heart broke as I watched the videos of the quake and the tsunami waves that crashed in afterwards. Please remember to pray for those who lost their loved ones, the ones who lost their livelihoods, and the ones who lost their homes. I could only hope nations would lift my family up in prayer if such a tragedy ever took place where I lived.

Be thankful for you blessings, pray others will have an opportunity to be blessed the way you have, and find a time and place to worship our great God with EVERYTHING you are and with EVERYTHING you have!

1 comment:

  1. Great post full of lots of good stuff! So happy for you on paying your credit card off. So looking forward to seeing your bedroom all finished. Love you!

    ReplyDelete